July 21, 2008

Windows XP folders suddenly disappear?


I am using Windows XP Pro SP2 (Chinese). Recently, my files disappear suddenly started when I click on "Return", then "follow" again.For example, I D: \ MP3 \ Men \ John \ folder when I click on "return", it goes to D : \ MP3 \ Humanities and the John dossier is nowhere to be seen. I am very sure that these cases are not "hidden". However, when I type D: \ MP3 \ Men \ John \ in the address bar, John file is still there and all files inside can be used.



Because my mp3 are stored in the partition D: \ and my windows is installed in the partition C: \, I reformatted C: \ windows and reinstalled. The "John" folder still does not appear.



Thinking that this could be a problem hdd, I used the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test software to scan the disk thorougly and no error was found. Using the same program, I erased the entire hard drive, re-installed Windows, and copied MP3 files from a backup of a hard drive. It has worked well at the beginning and after some time, the files begin to disappear again!



Anyone can help?

1 comment:

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
After looking around on the web, I found an article titled "Hot disappear if they have character filename invalid" relating to Windows XP. Have you tried to rename your files and make sure you do not use special characters such as slash key? I do not know if it helps, but think it is worth mentioning. Good luck!