July 25, 2008

ntds.dit missing?


I hope you can help me in this direction. We have a Windows 2000 server DC (Single Server) with the absence of a file ntds.dit. And unfortunately no backup. The error as follows:



Directory Services could not start because of this error: The system can not find the file specified.Error Status: 0xc000000f.Please Click OK for this system shutdown and restart in Directory Services Restore Mode, see the event log for more detailed information



I understand that it is impossible to recover. This server is configured with other software such as Oracle and others. Repeat whole thing from scratch is the last thing on my mind.



The server is an HP ProLiant ML350. I have the following idea.


Since the loss
ntds.dit is, I believe that everything I need a copy of this file with any objects AD (users and groups) to be created. I have no Exchange server and I believe that neither Oracle nor any other software made changes to Alzheimer's disease. This is my plan:



I will take all courses disk server. Then put in a brand new hard drive. Reinstall W2000 server with the same previous settings. NE a dcpromo, re-create all objects AD, then make a copy of ntds.dit.

Finnally I will return to the original hard drive in the server, and restore ntds.dit file.



Does this work?



please advice. Thank you. No.

2 comments:

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
, Check this article for the circumvention solution .. Good Luck

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
what I'm getting off the Web, some of your account settings is included in this file, copy it to another server May not work .. especially if it is a controller domainN.



try to see if another restoration is possible ...