July 22, 2008

Installing Windows XP on external drive?


I recently purchased a Western Digital Passport. 160 GB model, with the hope to install XP on it so I can have a backup operating system for various reasons. I got the external drive, I even bought a legitimate copy of Windows, but when I try to install the Windows installer says that it needs some software or something and "contacting the manufacturer." I wondered if anyone had experience with these players and knows everything suggestions on how to make it work, or if anything else can you recommend another small, cheap external drive to work. My memory is tiny, I just keep most text documents, so that the size of the disc is what counts. Thank you in advance.

5 comments:

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
I think you can install the disc into your computer with your IDE or SATA connection to the Windows installation and then return to your pasport pregnant. Then in the bios select boot sequence under other devices start and it will work.



I think on the first installation of XP, it does not recognize the external drive or USB ports at this time.

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
your operating system can not be installed on an external hard drive

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
EAST password WD specifically an external hard drive? I'm not sure you can install an operating system through a USB key ..



What I would recommend doing is another arrival in your hard drive, install it on the computer, and then you can either back up all your files snacks that your OS crashes, or you can install your new windows on the disk.

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
I know you can do what you are trying to do. I did it myself on an external hard drive. Without knowing what "software" should be I can not really much more. I recommend effectively with Western Digital. May they have a freeware that will solve the problem and get you going. Did

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
.. YouTube .. and enter into the search box ... install XP on an external hard drive .... and watch a video