July 15, 2008

how do i back up data safe? RAID?


I recently started the daunting task of digitizing all our family photos (also try to find a better scanner but that is another question). I started to accumulate a large amount of data aa result. It is the safeguarding of pictures but I realized it must also be safeguarded. but how can we save a return? After some research on the Internet I thought I had found my answer ... RAID (redundant array of inexpensive disks), it helps to have a system that can partial and not be replaced without loss of data and is less than 50% loss of space that I do if I just make two copies any (or implemented raid 1)! AWESOME! Only one question seams is very difficult to extend the system. I want to be able to hook new readers and more space than I realize and need. Is this possible? or do I completely on the thought that problem entirely? Another thing I watch is a disk image software. It seemed promising, but only if the image size is smaller, then diving.

1 comment:

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
RAID is a security system. His goal is to reduce the possibility of a catastrophic failure. Your data can survive the failure of a unit because of redundancy. But this is not a backup system.
RAID is a great and now SATA with tables is really cheap (in relative terms). But I urge you to safeguard your files.

According to the RAID, you can increase, decrease or amend your RAID configuration. Most of the time, is a very long process to make changes like that. And this is a risky process, you must ensure that it will not be interrupted.