July 30, 2008

What should I be looking for in a small business server?


I need to buy a Small Business Server, but I'm not sure what I should be for research and difficult to understand the specifications on sites as ebuyer, like this one for example: http:/ / www.ebuyer.com/product/140153



* I am looking for something that will allow me to remove a hard disk, can accept a tape drive for backups, so please can you say what are the words that I should be research?

* What server operating system should I do?

* I intend to buy a client / server software application that works only on Microsoft systems, so am I right in assuming that I must get some kind of server operating system Microsoft ?

* I would also like to be able to access the remote server, so what do I seek to enable me to do?

* Is it useful to consider something like that? It seems attractive to a relative novice like me. If no good, why?



So many questions and I have a learning curve to get more in a short period of time. Thank you in advance for your assistance and in-depth answers

1 comment:

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
To be fair to its often costs but I strongly recommend the HP ProLiant servers.

First, they support Hot Plug discs, you can delete them if they fail if you do not need an engineer to replace a

I recommend you save 2 discs mirror as a pair of operation of your operating system, which will provide the best performance and allow a drive failure so you have redundancy.

Then, 3 led operation RAID 4 or 5 discs functioning raid 6 - RAID 5 allows a disc to failure, RAID 6 allows up to 2 - heads over the raid 5 and 6 are more slow access to their data.



I would like to put a solid operating system in such a server 2003 so you have many years of future events to come.

Do not worry if your server does not have enough space for an internal tape drive, you can buy external DLT drives that offer superb performance safeguard - an external option, it would be assured without the server being off for the majority of defects.

With HP ProLiant servers they incorporate the ILO - Interegrated Lights Out, it allows you to administer the remote server, you can stop the remote server, restart, etc. control errors and is a fantastic tool.

If you want windows remote access simply use the Windows terminal remote console or something like VNC.

ILO separate stays on the server so you can access it then the power-server from 100 kilometres!

HP configuration is very straighy before you can get all this very well preconfigured with a supplier for very little cost - I am one of many servers operating with the same configuration (mirroring and RAID 5 discs), I also Other components such as redundant power supplies, internal fans so that my servers can continue working even if an internal component fails.

Back all that with a strong UPS to protect the server and also ensure that power should not give it the server time to close when the UPS starts to run low.



I do not recommend that you pull hard drives and a server that you think, backplane not tolerate repeated insertions etc. You are better to put readers in a raid configuration decent then let them.