July 16, 2008

How do I make a computer clone another computer's hard drive?


I have two computers and I have just recently formatting. I want to have exactly the same hard disk that my other computer ie same characteristics same information / parameters / and others. I have no idea how to do it, but the two computers are connected on a LAN, the only method I can imagine now are as follows:

1. bringing the hard disk from one computer to another and make a kind of drag-and-drop.
2. somehow copy the data over the network.
3. using a kind of software to create an image of my hard drive and make it more.

Now the problem is that if I find a non-tedious method ie not take ridiculous amounts of work I want to do for my other computers together. Is there an effective, fast and above all generally consistent method working for what I am trying to do? I am sure that someone must have experience in this field. note that I'm not trying to make a backup server for files. I already know how.

3 comments:

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
Go to www.seagate.com / support. They have a brilliant piece of free software called DiscWizard written for them by Acronis. It does all kinds, including cloning total contents of a hard disk to another. I've used when installing a hard disk larger in the same pc. But where the new disk is installed in the end, of course, is yours.
It's really a bit surprisingly easy to use kit. I am not an expert, but he found a piece of cake.

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
use Norton (Symantec) Ghost and make a disk image, you can get on the 2nd disc.

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
To begin what cause a problem if you copy any part of the system, that the next time it connects it noticed the activation key is invalid and go to Microsoft for help. This cancel your activation key, which makes the machine useless after a few days, and the disk operating system useless, even for recovery. Also all machines should have idntical equipment, not even alternative version or you begin to Blue Screen of Death errors for bad drivers. Software does not copy, it must be properly installed, with all its files to the appropriate library prominently and hundreds or thousands of registry entries made. Currently, most software also creates problems similar to the OS if activation keys responsible for more than a machine. It is the protection against piracy.