July 17, 2008

How do you train to get an entry level help desk/sys admin job?


I can work in MS Office, Windows XP, MAC OS X and Linux as a "power" user. Meaning that I can do more than simply opening IE and surf the web. I can also save a desktop computer from scratch and troubleshoot things, make my own site, using a "typical" computer user to troubleshoot computer problems ..

Is it useful to have something like a MCSA / unix MCSE or certificate?
I think to study a program Unix cert to school ...

What are the good software to buy, books to learn and technologies to learn on my own (outside of school learning).

I'm not sure what to learn as each sys admin workstations ad years of experience in something like: 5 years of MS Server 2003, 7 years on UNIX security, backup, the server adjustment and control, etc. ..

Should I just be a certificate of a kind and just use this as a starting point?

If I just teach myself? Thank you for answers!

2 comments:

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
Even to get your foot in the door, you will need certain powers established education. Teaching yourself is the least successful option.

instead look sys / admin jobs, focus on job assistance, they often require less power. You can search online to your job search site to see what the minimum requirements are, and get that certification! Once you have your foot in the door, you can get additional training (paid by the company, we hope) to get the requirements for training and work experience you need to move to the scale.

Oh, and my advice - as you are at school, you should contact your office internships and the office of career placement - you might be able to get an internship in such a position you will get more practical information on a career, and career placement office has many resources that you should start taking advantage of now, so you are best placed to get the job of your dreams when you are past.

good luck to you! Hi

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
. I want to get a certification Microsoft Office. I know that some Bureau, but there are big gaps in my knowledge. I know that Microsoft has an online training, which is the route I take, even if I also bought some books.
The fact is that, all things being equal, have a recognized degree in general is always better than not having one. And I know that the tests are administered to someone preassess the Office of the student in order not to lose time to do what it already knows how to use.
If you do not get a better answer here, look online communities of people who do what you want to do. They will be the most honest people wonder what you really need. Certification costs money, so you may want to hear people in the field know what is the best option.
If you go back to school, I suggest you do so at night and stay at work, even if one could afford to take time off. Just do not lose contact with the workplace. And night students tend to be older and more experienced. Amazon.com was also a good source for me. I read reviews of study guides and that helped me decide what to buy.
Good luck to you!