June 18, 2008

Cannot access hard drive?


saturnpa asked
I have a 250 Meg portable hard drive that I used as a captain and save all my files no longer recognized by my computer. I had tried on several computers with the same results. Is there anywhere or any software that would allow me to access the hard drive and retrieve my files?
Depending on security and the value of data, you have a few options.

1. If, under the guarantee, go to the seller (ie, LaCie) and see what they suggest. Most providers will check the unit external hard drive and repair it, if it is the forum which is the problem. If the drive is the problem, they generally you will moving to a laboratory data recovery for recovery, then replaces the drive when you return to them.

2. If not under warranty, pop the hood of the enclosure and try to connect the player directly to your computer or in another chamber of work. If the reader detects, great! You've found the problem. If not, you'll probably need of data recovery.

Regarding data recovery, the question you must ask is: "What is it deserves to be given to me?" If it is worth $ 500 or more, it is worth sending the disk and get free evaluation provided by most laboratories. (I know, that's what I do for a living.)

Good luck!

5 comments:

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
It is quite likely that the player is busted. Call manufactorer and explian your questions maybe they can retrieve information off hard drives since. Since it is not recognized by your computer chances are that the disc inside is ok. Other than that I think you can do much once the disk dies. I hope it works for you. I lost tons of photos with a similar problem.

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
what is the drive letter for this 250 MB hard drive?
are you connecting to a USB port?
can go and try slave?
The master disk drive would bear the operating system usually in C:
Go to Device Manager and whether the hard disk is installed / connected.

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
Check equipment and properties of connections. If it shows that "the device is not working properly call the administrator.

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
In general, you can get a disk with a screwdriver. It can destroy the equipment but if you touch anything inside.

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
You can probably take it to the seller. They can help you in trying to recover most of your data or if you're lucky all your data.