January 16, 2008

Script or 'no install' program to backup open files for WinXP?


Greetings!

I am looking for a solution to backup files to my laptop. I need the program / script to be able to copy the files open, not lock files in a proprietary format (make a backup mirror type). The solution should not require the installation of any software on the computer.

I tried xcopy, robocopy, etc., but I have not been able to get them to work with open files. I also tried the level of backup windows, but it puts all the files in an archive which I do not want.

I tried to use the script provided here, but it always gave me an error:
Http: / / blogs.msdn.com / adioltean / archive / ...

Any ideas?

1 comment:

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
This should be very easy to do with a batch scripts. For this example, I am going to assume the files on your laptop are located in

C: \ myfiles

And you are going to copy them in a shared folder on the network, something like:

F: \ workbackup

In my case, F could be any letter that I assign to the shared network folder.

Create a new text file. You only need a few lines of code:

CD \
CD C: \ myfiles "
COPY *.*" F: \ workbackup "That's

it. The script opens C: \ myfiles and copies of all the files in the network to file F: \ workbackup.

Save this file with the extension. BAT extension (such as backup.bat). Then you need to create a scheduled job that will execute your file (backup.bat) according to a schedule you choose.

This can be done with the task scheduler. Click Start> Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Scheduled Tasks.
Click on Add scheduled tasks and follow the onscreen instructions. Point Annex backup.bat your roster and schedule to complete each night.