January 21, 2008

Backup Solution needed.?


I have a 250GB external hard drive that I want to use it to back. Now I just drag and drop everything that I want to keep and that's all. My problem is that when I start using a backup windows, it records everything in a file with an extension. Bkp (or something like that) extention but I do not want that. I keep all my movies and stuff on it if I want to be able to access and use the HD.
Im looking for a program that will monitor and fundamentally sync my "My Movies", "My music", "My Pictures" and records, etc., so that I add at any time a new movie or music on this matter, it adds to my HD.
I also want to be able to backup e-mails, drivers and something else I might need to put my system to live if something goes wrong on the road (I currently have only)

Any ideas on how I can accomplish this?

Thanks!

2 comments:

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
-I make backups similar to a 2nd HD (internal). I Karen's Replicator.

"Save automatically files, directories, even entire drives! Karen's Replicator copy selected files to a disk / folder to another. Source and Destination folders can reside anywhere on your network. "

Free:


Enjoy!

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
A major problem with your backup strategy is that you keep the hard disk save in the same place as the daily use of your computer. Saving data must be removed off so that if there is a site disaster (fire, flood, theft, meteor, etc.), the safeguarding of data is still intact.

Even if your technique can help in some cases, it is rather pathetic strategy, relatively speaking. You can do research on the Web to discover the subtleties of a good strategy Backup. I recommend that you look at the sites of companies that sell a tape drive for backup as they give much thought, they recommend strategies for saving for use with their products, and which is of general application. Sinon You can get in touch with a consultant to implement a solution for you. There is a multitude of ways to obtain reasonable assurance that you will be able to recover after a disaster. Thanks to the high-speed internet, Online backup has become possible (although data for multi-media, online backup may not "fit the bill").

If you do not like checked. Bkf NT Backup creates files, and that you really want to do it on your own, ask for help on the XCOPY command. Although not in real time, you can schedule it to run as often as you want. To say every day, then you will never double is a day of the value of data. But again, the stored data must be removed to an off-site (a safe deposit box, for example, perhaps a week).

Finally, note that RAID is NOT backup! (I added that in the event that you encounter in your search RAID).