February 7, 2008

How do you format a thumb drive? Are there free software available.?


I think I have a problem with the thumb drive.

I have two readers both 1Gig inch.

Drives E: \ populate was with a little work on stuffs so I moved a big chunk of information to drive F: \ approx 410MB of information.
Everything went OK.
Delete the files of E: \ that are no longer needed.
Things went OK until he came to one of the files S, who say that the PC can not be deleted.
Not a real problem, continued to remove the remaining files.
After watching a few other files and directories where nothing has been done.
Then I discovered a big problem.
Some directories and files are corrupt and are not accessible.
No problem, because most of them I looked at were not important.

Shut down the Thumb drive, and plug prey.
Access E: \, he said now that the Thumb disk is not formatted "Would you?" Who I say no.
Then I got a bigger problem!
So, I re-boot the computer and when I tried to access E \: Explorer on it still said that the Thumb disk is not formatted "Do you want to format" that I say no again.
I made a chkdsk E: \ DOS and got the message "can not read as file type is RAW."
I then recovered a large number of files using a variety of software recovery and kept them in the C: \ drive.
Majority of them can not be opened or fixed by the recovery of software that are not a problem, as I saved. After
myself convinced that there is not much I can do with corrupted files in your thumb drive I succumbed to the "do you want to format 'request. OK
all went well, and the thumb drive has been formatted in FAT32 and I started to use it again.
Thing seems right for a while until I transfer some files into the thumb drive.
On the viewing files and directories found that all were corrupt and gooly ****. Essay� erase the file, but he did not have permission to do so. Stop
thumb drive, and plug disconnected. Essay� to see him on Explorer and got the message of the dreaded "Thumb disk is not formatted Want?"
Properties checked and found that there are over 400 MB of storage space in the drive.
FAT format at 12 as I thought that the FAT32 is not compatible, and it seems to work OK, but then the same problem occurs again.
I checked drive F: \, and it shows that it is NTFS
I tried to format E: \ to NTFS but the system does not allow it to do so.
I was told that the thumb drive can not be formatted in the same way as classic or floppy disk (A second has done its job and it no longer works) and that I need to see details of the chip which is not possible as it is sealed, except to break what is something that I want to avoid. Thanks to the chip information, it is then possible to find software for the factory to have re-formatted.
Unfortunately, I lost all the papers that came with the drive and have difficulty tracing its source.
Did you encounter such a problem and that you are able to make a key?

4 comments:

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
You should be able to format your thumbdrive using WinXP.

- Right click on the icon of your thumbdrive in Explorer or My Computer
- Choose 'Format'

It is not true that you can not format your disc in the same way as the format of a disk or hard drive. They were designed to allow you to format, with a minimum of fuss.

Your problem is similar to the partition table of your thumbdrive may have been corrupted. You can try using FDISK if you use an OS before XP. In XP:

- Go to the Control Panel
- Click "Administrative Tools"
- Click on 'Computer Management
- Search your thumbdrive and re-initialize your partition

However, the fact that your thumbdrive became corrupted again once you have transferred the files back in it shows that there may be a problem hardware too. Thumbdrives have a finite lifespan, which is much shorter than less than a hard drive. If you use your thumbdrive to store important data, it might be better for your peace of mind to buy a new one.

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
I have not read all of your long question, but I think that the operating system (Windows), the format is a USB drive (inches) in the same manner as any other player.

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
Try this
right click on my computer Click on Managing
Select Disk Management

Windows format should lead the thumb like any other player

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
You should be able to find software on the Internet. Hopefully you know what brand is the thumb drive.

If you have XP, you should have no software, the plug