February 19, 2008

How can a transfer/move/copy files with long filenames/paths in Vista?


I saved my laptop using Seagate backup software automatically on a 750 GB HD. I want to transfer / move / copy the files to another hard disk of 750 GB Vista but gives me the error message that the path to the place where the records are kept (and sometimes the names of files themselves) in the long run. There are quite a few of these files (in the hundreds, most of them being related to Favorites). How can I move? [Vista Ultimate 32 bit version)

1 comment:

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
Total While it is path is too long (more than 255 characters), the windows complaining. This is another constraint. What this means is that the record depth (how many cases are there of the root at the end) is too great.

Select the files and move them manually.