February 3, 2008

Whats the best software for backing-up, or archiving, my personal files?


I do not care too much for saving my whole computer, my personal files, such as photos, videos, documents, and audio. Basically, everything that comes under My Documents in Windows XP. I am looking for a software that I can install and run without being a genius, and most important of all that I can schedule an automatic execution and it does seek new files added since the last backup. But it must be safe because I am poor. In any help?

1 comment:

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
I have been agonizing over a solid backup strategy for the last six months. Here's what I found.

First, as you noted, I will confine myself to the "Documents and Settings" or "My Documents" folder on my computer. I make sure that everything I create, which must be stored in a subdirectory goes there. Needless to safeguard applications that will be restored by installing them, but more on that shortly.

Secondly, I identify directories that change frequently (eg "My Documents") compared to those who do (eg, "My Pictures"). For the "My Documents", I have a batch file I run once a day and simply PKZIP (or WinZip) while at the archive and then copy the archive to one of the five key USB memory I own.

For photos directories, I manually back up the new hardware DVD-ROM once every three months.

To install the software, I have a directory, the installation files? ". This is the key to a successful backup IMHO. When you get a new piece of software, whether a download or a CD / DVD, it is copied to a directory under "Images installation" at first, then it is installed from there. In this way, I know that I have a copy of everything that I have installed on my computer, do I need to eat at some point in the future. "The installation of images" itself is regularly backed up to DVD-ROM itself.