February 7, 2008

How can I copy my hard drive to a new computer and not have to re-load my software?


I have a small business and my laptop becomes old. The POS software that I use for all my accounting and database management no longer exists. The company went bankrupt so there is no hope of getting another copy of my software. I back up every day, but the data is useless without the software. How can I transfer the program to another disk and still have it? I tried several times using the backup feature of the program, but when I try to open the program on the new computer there are missing files, it wont run.
If there is a way to copy my HD so that my program will work on another computer PLEASE help me!
I have no disks re-load the program because it is a downloadable program online, which has never been any discs.

3 comments:

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
with Windows Unfortunately, there are only 3 ways you can do what you want ...

1) Install the software on your new computer. Can not do that because you have no way to install.

2) Duplicate while the drive to a new hard drive (using any management software partition), which duplicate the operating system, video drivers, the card son, etc etc etc. Then you end up with a disk drive cloned ... And you will need to update it hard to meet your new PC and a new OS. It is a style and a pain and you do not get a good clean with nice clean OS applications. It also ties in with an operating system to the application will operate under ... So if it was a Win95 app you may find it will not work with XP or Vista, the next on app. Alternatively, it may not run on the next filesystem layout.

3) The work exactly which files are needed and what registry entries are needed and copy them on the new PC.

Alternatively, you can export your data, reformat, fit all currently available parcels and packages switch?

Or to pay a developer to write a program to obtain data and new demand.

Or maybe you can find someone there with an installation set for the product ... Someone may need to download the installer rather than just use it to install and then delete it.

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
You do not need to find someone who knew what they were doing to find where the program is in the register and copy all files and registry settings associated with the program is completed. It is a long shot that may not even work. It is not always successful.

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
if you use the wizard xp use file transfer, go to boot, programs, accessories, system settings transfer tools.filesand follow the instructions hope this helps