December 26, 2007

Will Hard Drive Data be overwritten during backup?


This should be a simple question. I will try to bring out in this way.

I am currently using an external hard disk of 40 GB in an enclosure to save my files and folders important. This hard drive is nearly full with my data backed up. I backed up my files and folders with simple cut and paste since I did not have a backup software at the time. The hard drive connects to the computer via a USB port.

Now, I have a backup software called Acronis True Image (ATI) 9.0. I am now ready to proceed with a full backup of everything, including my operating system.

My question is this. If I use ATI now to save my computer, it will go ahead and crush anything that is already on my external hard drive?

Remember, I already have 40GB HDD 25 GB of my files, photos, and folders on what I have copied and pasted here a few months ago and a complete backup of my computer goes need at least that much space.

Hoping to hear someone on the subject. It's too hot outside to do something. Ca

2 comments:

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
should not overwrite any data previously on the disc. It is also true that virtually all backup software compresses data before writing to the backup media.

So while it seems that you do not have enough space on your computer. Hard, you might actually have enough. But I think you are too close to the limit of your ability. Disc.

You could try the first stage through a few menus in your backup software, and did not really start the backup to see what he tells you. If you said that the backups will barely fit, not to make them. The size estimates are only estimates and are not exactly predictable (without massive calculation).

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
No, but it will not be if there is not enough space, it will let you know 11,111, it will not replace your drive, if you do not have enough space for a backup. If so, you will get an error message.