December 26, 2007

What's a good backup hard drive to get and where from?


Hi everyone,

My brother told me about this place fianc�, and I told myself that I had to try it. I sense that I am embarrassed tech geek who does not have all its files backed up, with the exception of certain codes stored on a small USB drive.

Can you give me some advice for this kind of disk I should look? The only brands that I have heard good things about Seagate and Maxtor. What should I look for when buying one and what is just unnecessary fluff? I believe that an external USB 2.0 would be better.

Also, any site where I can get a fair deal? Or should I just go pricewatch, fatwallet, pricegrabber and newegg? I am looking to spend $ 100 or less. I want at least 40 GB so that I can use it for many years to come, but I do not think I will need 100 GB or something like that, I prefer to spend the money on speed and reliability.

If you use any guys free backup software (or cheap software that is really good), the recommendations would be appreciated.

,

Elton

4 comments:

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
Use the backup program included with Windows XP! Never
it is assumed that Windows XP Home does not have a backup program, it does! Look for a file named "Valueadd", and then he tic tic "MSFT" tic "NTBACKUP" to install the backup utility.

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
get a 80 or 120 gig computer USB 2.0 external drive better buy is about $ 70 is worth it. An IDE hard disk typically overheating due to the operating temperature inside the body. They can last between two and three years. Sometimes they break septors inside blocks of hard drive. Go with Maxtor if you want a good mark. Ghost from the hard disk primary to external hard disk. Who would take 5 to 10 minutes depends on the system you are using a Maxtor

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
key program that works pretty well. I used to use them in the workplace, to make quick backups before doing something stupid. I also like the aluminum casing and the exhaust fan that puts in their maxtor external drives. I do not know the price of most, it was about 3 years ago when we bought a 250 GB for $ 300. Try www.outpost.com or www.newegg.com or www.mwave.com. These are the places where I buy other things since then. Hopefully this will help you.

PS - Even if you have a technology, do not feel bad to ask questions. The more you ask, the more you learn.

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
Here is the only external hard drives available for less than $ 100: I personally do with Lacie or Western Digital, out of this group, unless you need 6 GB, Seagate expects that sweet.