May 30, 2008

What brand/model of external hard drive would be best for me?


I really hope that something has been done before, so they can give me advice ...

- I need to make a complete backup of two computers (one is older desktop PC using Windows XP, the other more recent is a Dell laptop with Windows Vista)
- I am sure I need something with its own outlet since I heard the laptops can not easily manipulate food-powered USB HD.
- I would almost connect to a first and fully safeguard, then disconnect and take others to do likewise, conservation separate data so that I can save the event of crash.
- I update backup files every two months, at least for a laptop
- I needed 300 to 500 GB

Is there a specific software which j 'I need to search (for better or bad) to do the double-backup? Is it possible to manipulate manually? I plan on verification and on amazon.com for comment bestbuy.com too, but I need a way to limit my research. Thank you.

3 comments:

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
-I use an external drive, Buffalo, 1 TB. It connects either by USB or FireWire. I support other computers on the same wireless network on the network, it does not have to be plugged into the machine on which I take the backup. GoodSync I use to synchronize the files. The HD is still connected to my computer via USB.
It may take a few minutes to make safeguarding the first time, but only after the modified files are copied, it goes much faster.

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
external hard drives are now very cheap. I doubt that you need more than 300 concert. Each store - I would like to delete the old one.
You can get 300GB for about $ 125 to Wal-Mart. I would like to recommend that plugs into USB. Nothing wrong with those, and they are very mobile.
They do not require software work.

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
Hi, Most all external hard drives sold come with backup software and a button on the hard drive that starts the backup. The bundles software should be able to manage what you want to do. with regard to the mark, are good Seagate and Western Digital. Stay away from Maxtor. Yes, I know seagate bought Maxtor, but they are not better.

Some are good:
Western Digital My Book Premium WDG1SU3200N ES (320 GB) $ 135
Seagate FreeAgent Pro ST303204FPA1E2 RK-135 $ 320 Go
Seagate FreeAgent Pro ST305004FPA1E2 RK-158 $ 500 GB

I would go for seagate 500, it comes with software that can do whatever you have to do.
Hope this helps!