May 27, 2008

How can I access a Unix tar tape on my SCSI DAT drive on my Windows PC?


I have tar files that were embodied on a Unix workstation that I would like to access from my PC. I have a reader DAT SCSI (28,388 Archive Python-XXX) on my PC, but the software I have on my system (Win98) Windows recognizes only format backup. I tried DATman99, but in the rough block playback mode, I must know in advance how many blocks are in a file tarball and I do not see how to determine which, directly, according to information I have.

I tried to make a 'live' boot Linux (Knoppix), but it does not recognize my SCSI drive directly. I am familiar with HP-UX and "STAPE 'driver, but I can not find the equivalent in the distribution Knoppix.

I prefer free / open source solutions, but I have to pay to get a viable solution that can safely transfer these files.

We thank you in advance for your time!

1 comment:

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
it could easily access.