November 21, 2007

Best Backup Software?


yourwrote,educated homeboy
I heard Acronis True Image 10 Home is the best backup software on your computer, but it may not be true. What do you think?

True Image is good, but it can be a bit flakey in my experience. I would not use it as my only backup system, as I do not have full confidence in it restore my PC. Also, the support is a bit low.

If you use Vista Home Premium, and Ultimate Business, built in backup is really good. You can schedule backups of all your files, or take a picture or your PC as you can with Acronis TI.

Another good backup program (if you do not have Vista) is Backup4All-Fee $ 40.

Finally, as the other measures might not be sufficient if your house is burning, or if you are robbed, I Mozy online backup (). It is a great program. You install it and it will save your files to a website on the Internet. If the worst ever happens, you just have to download all your files again when you receive another PC.

Mozy offer 2Gb free account (which is not bad-enough for hundreds of photos or files), but also unlimited backup for $ 4.95/month, if you have lots of files. I use for about 6 months, and it works quite nicely.


2 comments:

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
I used Acronis and I used Norton Ghost. For me, Acronis was easier to use and their customer support was a hundred times better than Norton (Symantec). They also have a much better online tutorial compared with Norton. So Acronis gets my vote.

I did discover something the hard way, however. When you use one of these products in support of the entire contents of your hard drive, you are really saving everything. Including spyware, viruses, etc. So if you make a backup because you are going to reformat and reinstall, be careful not to reinstall everything that was giving you problems in the first place.

Plrr

backup guy said...

(From old blog's comments)
I have mozy service for online backup and automatic: